Grand Challenges 2018
Manycore Grand Challenges Workshop
Thursday 5th April 2018
Queen's University Belfast
As part of our EPSRC network funding, we made a commitment to draw up a set of manycore grand challenges. This workshop is the first activity to kickstart this activity.
- 10-11: Deconstructing Grand Challenges [pdf] What is a grand challenge, or moonshot? Why do we need them? We review similar exercises in the past, and highlight successes and failures.
- 11-12: Discussion about Manycore Grand Challenges [notes.txt] We aim to construct a list of 10 to 20 challenges, which will be whittled down through the day. These are research problems / real-world challenges that we want the manycore community to address. Bring Your Own Challenge!
- 12-1230: Discussion about Grand Challenge Activities Should we run hackathons? Workshops? Curate an interactive website? Publish a journal special issue?
- 1230-1330: lunch
- 1330-1400: Interactive Voting Exercise We aim to identify the top N grand challenges.
- 14-15: Moving Forward Discussion about timeline for activities, champions for grand challenges. Strategy for community engagement.